What is the RALC?

There are four Regional Alternative Licensing Centers (RALCs) in North Carolina, created by the State Board of Education and the Department of Public Instruction. They were designed to assist lateral entry teachers in NC to achieve a full professional educator’s license. read more...>

Website Legend

 Click To Reveal More Information    Indicates To Click For More

Link Leads Off Of RALC Website Indicates Leaving RALC Website

Course Disclaimer

Courses listed on the RALC website are approved for employed and prospective teachers who have a current plan of study or qualification letter on file with one of the four RALCs. Individuals with an expired or no plan of study should not take these courses and assume they will count.

Get Acrobat Reader

Adobe Acrobat Reader is needed
to view some files on this website.

Lateral Entry Plan of Study

All plans of study (with the exception of Birth – Kindergarten, Counseling, Social Worker, Special Education) have two parts: Licensure Content Area, and Pedagogy. A list of colleges/universities offering courses that have been approved by the RALC to satisfy competencies for your plan of study is found on this page.

To find approved courses for your content area or pedagogy requirements, follow the steps below.

  1. Select your Lateral Entry Licensure or Pedagogy area from the drop-down menus on your left.
  2. Select the college or university where you want to take the class. Approved classes are listed by prefix and course title.

 If you prefer to take a course not listed on this site, you must seek written approval from your RALC Director prior to enrollment. Written requests must include the competency you wish to satisfy, the name of the institution where you want to take the course, the course prefix, title, and official description from the institution’s catalog.

read more...

There are two parts to most plans of study: Pedagogy competencies (the science of teaching courses) and Licensure Area competencies (the content courses specific to your area of licensure). The areas of B-K, School Counseling, Pre-School Add-on, School Social Worker, Special Education/Adapted Curriculum, and Special Education/General Curriculum have a one-page plan of study because the pedagogy competencies are built-in with the Licensure Area competencies.  All other licensure areas that the RALC evaluates have a two-page plan of study.

Courses must be taken to satisfy empty cells on your plan of study. Some competencies on your plan must be taken at a four-year university that has an approved teacher education program, while others can be met through the community college.  Certain competencies can be met through your school system with staff development (CEU) credit. Your plan of study lists where each competency may be met.


With this in mind, it is important to make a plan for completing the requirements. Since certain courses are not offered each semester, it is important to contact the colleges and universities where you may take the course(s) and find out when and how the courses are offered (face-to-face, online, hybrid, etc.). Some of the institutions have provided that information and is noted on the courses tab.


Yearly Requirements For Lateral Entry

Individuals must follow their plan of study as prescribed by the RALC. It is recommended that six semester hours per year from the plan of study be taken until the plan has been completed.

Coursework, testing, and any additional requirements for the licensure area must be completed within three school years. Local school systems may require proof of completion of requirements for continued employment. Employment decisions belong solely to the local school system.

Clearing The RALC Plan Of Study

  • Complete all prescribed coursework on your RALC plan of study.
  • Satisfy the NC licensure exams as outlined in the requirements letter from DPI’s Licensure Section.
  • Teach successfully for one school year in a NC public or charter school as evidenced by a summary evaluation from your employing school system (all standards must be rated “Proficient” or higher).

read more...

Your employing school system will submit the following paperwork to the RALC:

  • Request for Employed Teachers form
  • Official transcripts of coursework taken to satisfy plan of study
  • Copy of first page of official test scores
  • Copy of summary evaluation from latest year of teaching
  • Form C (if you have had 3 years of teaching experience)
  • Request to add additional areas to license with supporting documentation, if applicable


If you completed the RALC program for a NC Educator's license and are applying for a license in another state, you may be required to provide verification of the completion of your state-approved teacher education program.

Program completion requests (verification of a NC license) must be submitted by using the online licensure system.

  1. Log onto https://vo.licensure.ncpublicschools.gov.
  2. At the Quick Start Menu, select “Update your License information/Open a NEW Application”.
  3. Next, select “Verification of NC License”.
  4. Follow onscreen instructions.

This request requires a processing fee.