Lateral Entry Plan of Study
All plans of study (with the exception of Birth – Kindergarten, Counseling, Social Worker, Special Education) have two parts: Licensure Content Area, and Pedagogy. A list of colleges/universities offering courses that have been approved by the RALC to satisfy competencies for your plan of study is found on this page.
To find approved courses for your content area or pedagogy requirements, follow the steps below.
- Select your Lateral Entry Licensure or Pedagogy area from the drop-down menus on your left.
- Select the college or university where you want to take the class. Approved classes are listed by prefix and course title.
If you prefer to take a course not listed on this site, you must seek written approval from your RALC Director prior to enrollment. Written requests must include the competency you wish to satisfy, the name of the institution where you want to take the course, the course prefix, title, and official description from the institution’s catalog.
Yearly Requirements For Lateral Entry
Individuals must follow their plan of study as prescribed by the RALC. It is recommended that six semester hours per year from the plan of study be taken until the plan has been completed.
Coursework, testing, and any additional requirements for the licensure area must be completed within three school years. Local school systems may require proof of completion of requirements for continued employment. Employment decisions belong solely to the local school system.
Clearing The RALC Plan Of Study
- Complete all prescribed coursework on your RALC plan of study.
- Satisfy the NC licensure exams as outlined in the requirements letter from DPI’s Licensure Section.
- Teach successfully for one school year in a NC public or charter school as evidenced by a summary evaluation from your employing school system (all standards must be rated “Proficient” or higher).
If you completed the RALC route to licensure and then moved to another state, you may need verification of the program that led to your NC Standard Professional Educator’s license.
Please send all requests for verification of completion to the following address:
NC Department of Public Instruction
6365 Mail Service Center
Raleigh NC 27699-6365