What is the RALC?

There are four Regional Alternative Licensing Centers (RALCs) in North Carolina, created by the State Board of Education and the Department of Public Instruction. They were designed to assist lateral entry teachers in NC to achieve a full professional educator’s license. read more...>

Get Acrobat Reader

Adobe Acrobat Reader is needed
to view some files on this website.

Lateral Entry Resources

Clicking on one of the links below may send you to an external site. While these sites are listed as a resource, the RALC has no control or influence regarding content.

 Foreign Transcript Evaluations

Important Points to Remember

Courses listed on the RALC website are approved for employed and prospective teachers who have a current plan of study or qualification letter on file with one of the four RALCs. Individuals with an expired or no plan of study should not take these courses and assume they will count.

  • Individuals following a plan of study from the RALC must be self-directed in finding coursework and completing all requirements of the plan due to limited resources of the RALC.

  • We recommend that you compare a plan of study from the RALC with one from a college or university to see which best suits your needs.

  • If you choose to complete the RALC plan of study, keep in mind that it is valid for three school years or until your lateral entry license expires, if one has been issued.

  • You should plan to complete all requirements, including testing, by the expiration date of your lateral entry license.

  • Some competencies require courses be taken at a 4-year college or university with an approved teacher education program in your license area.  Make note of these competencies and plan accordingly.  Not all courses are offered each semester.

  • E-mail your appropriate RALC office for approval to take a course not listed on the RALC website.  Prior written approval from your RALC Director must be obtained before substituting any courses.  Be sure to include the course prefix and number, the name of the institution where the course is being offered, the official course description, and of course, the competency you are trying to satisfy on your plan of study.  Verbal approvals will not be honored. If you wish to take a graduate level course with the same title but with “advanced” before it, it will be accepted.