What is the RALC?

There are four Regional Alternative Licensing Centers (RALCs) in North Carolina, created by the State Board of Education and the Department of Public Instruction. They were designed to assist lateral entry teachers in NC to achieve a full professional educator’s license. read more...>

Get Acrobat Reader

Adobe Acrobat Reader is needed
to view some files on this website.


What is lateral entry?

Lateral entry, an alternate route to teaching, allows a school system to hire someone with at least a bachelor's degree as a teacher, with the assumption that over the next three years the person being hired will complete a teacher education program through a college, university, or RALC. Individual plans of study are prescribed for lateral entry teachers who must complete the necessary educational coursework (and other requirements) for a professional educator’s license while teaching. read more...

Do You Qualify To Teach?

Many individuals enter the teaching profession through the lateral entry process. Find out if you qualify by clicking the link below.

Let's Get Started

News & Information

The RALCs are pleased to provide you with current information submitted to us by school systems and institutions of higher education.  For the latest announcements regarding special lateral entry course offerings and upcoming job fairs, etc., read more...

Click here, for details on upcoming changes to lateral entry.